Friday, December 4, 2009

Italian Smothered Steak

This dinner is a slow cooker favorite around here. It's our Italian Smothered Steak. I grew up on the traditional Swiss steak with Tomato Sauce, Onion, and green pepper over rice so when I saw this recipe I knew I would like it. All the boys devour it. It's really inexpensive to make and of course under 500 cal a serving, so it's healthful. It's sooooo yummy. I love coming home from work knowing this has been in the slow cooker all day :o)


Whatcha Need...
2 pounds round steak (I use London Broil and stock up/freeze when on sale)
1 medium onion, sliced
1 jar (26 ounces) tomato pasta sauce, my favorite sauce in the whole world is the Newman's Own Sockarooni.

1 package (9 ounces) tortellini (I've made this with cheese tortellini and sausage filled tortellini...the sausage wins hands down for our family.)
2 small zucchini, chopped.
Salt, Pepper, and McCormick Steak Seasoning. (Not Pictured)
IMG_5906
IMG_5909

Whatcha Do with it...

Season London Broil with salt, pepper, and McCormick Seasoning and place in a slow cooker.
Pour jar of pasta sauce over meat and top with sliced onion.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
IMG_5907

20 minutes before you want to eat throw tortellini and zucchini in slow cooker and crank it to high for 20 minutes...
Viola...ya got dinner.
IMG_5912
(We rounded out this meal with a salad.)

**You may notice in the picture that the zucchini is missing. This is because right when I went to cut up the zucchini I noticed it had gone south. It was still really good without it and nice to know that this is easily a "pantry/freezer" meal if I don't want to use Zucchini. I can have all the ingredients in the pantry and freezer for those days when we need something easy and quick to make, NICE!!! ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment