Friday, January 1, 2010

Chipped Beef

This is a meal from childhood. I can almost hear my dad say, "Oh, we're having Sh** on a shingle for dinner?" when the smell of this hits my nose. I'm not sure why the military folks call this Sh** on a shingle?!?! This is a really inexpensive meal to make. I mean really inexpensive. It has to be under 3$ for the entire meal. This is a comfort meal for me...it's creamy and full of flavor...the cayenne gives it a kick you don't really expect. I usually serve it over bisbuits, although traditonal recipes call for it to be served over toast (hence the shingle, I suppose.) I always make green peas to accompany it, because it's what my mom did and sometimes you just don't mess with a good thing!

Whatcha Need...
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups warm milk
About 8 oz of beef. I usually buy the budding lunch meat.
1 pinch cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
IMG_6008_2

Whatcha do with it...
In a medium pan over low heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour all at once to form a roux. Whisk in milk, a little at a time, increase heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring, until thickened. Bring to a boil, stir in beef. Season with cayenne, salt, and pepper heat through and serve over biscuit.
IMG_6009

Viola, there ya have it. Can easily be done in under 15 minutes!!!
IMG_6016

1 comment:

  1. So Yummy!! What a great idea to use that cheap lunch meat (50cents a pkg) I have never thought of it and now I will be trying it to see if DH like it this way. he is not a gravy guy but me, I'm like please pour gravy over my buttered chocolate hehehe not really but yeah, I'm a high fat food lovin gal!!!

    ReplyDelete