Tuesday, December 8, 2009

BBQ Chicken Pizza

I have a friend who loves BBQ chicken Pizza and I always wanted to try it, but never had the guts to order it. I have a weird thing, which I totally blame on my mom, but I don't eat chicken I haven't cooked. This fear of chicken cooked outside my home comes from my mom...it would take a long time to explain, I probably need therapy over it, and it really deserves a post of it's own. To make a really long story short, I would never order BBQ chicken pizza in a restaurant.

But I did try it once!!!! A friend ordered it and I took a slice and LOVED the taste, but couldn't eat a lot of it because of the fear of chicken cooked outside my home.

Am I rambling? So...this is why I tried this recipe. I already knew I liked the taste and flavor of BBQ chicken pizza, but knew it was never going to make it's way to my dinner table unless I made it myself. I came across this super easy and quick version and it has since become a family favorite. Having two small toddlers, pizza is always a good thing. It's tangy, meaty, has a little heat from the onion and just oozes with goodness. It's super easy, super cheap (of course!), and healthful.

Whatcha Need...
1 small package of chicken breast cutlets (you want them really thin...I think a lot of recipes call for Chicken Tenders, but those are also part of my chicken fear so I don't buy them.)
1 pillsburry Pizza dough
BBQ sauce
2 cup bag of mozzarella cheese
1/2 red onion, diced really small
Couple of slices of crumbled Bacon (I will either use the already cooked bacon you pop into the microwave or bacon bits...tonight it was bacon bits that we had on hand.)
Salt, Pepper and McCormick Steak seasoning
IMG_5923

Whatcha do with it...
I make the pizza dough according to "crispy" directions which means you preheat oven to 400 for a nonstick pan, place pizza dough on cookie sheet with NO toppings, and cook for 8 minutes...this is a great time to cook the chicken.
IMG_5924

Cook chicken on grill top, season with salt pepper and steak seasoning. Cook about 5 min on each side. Pull off grill top. Slice two or three chicken breasts and save the rest.
IMG_5928
(Left over chicken is great for fend for yourself night. I a lot of times will put it in a salad.)

Pizza dough should be done, so pull it out of oven and top with...
BBQ sauce...use as much as you like. I usually use about 1/2 cup.
Sliced Chicken
Mozzarella Cheese, however much you like.
Diced red onion
Bacon Bits, just sprinkled over top.
IMG_5930

Put pizza back into oven for 8-10 minutes and pull out...
Viola ya got dinner...we serve with a green salad.IMG_5933

1 comment:

  1. This looks really good and simple. I also have issues about ordering chicken pizza but I'm sure for other reasons than yours, yet still needing thherapy, LOL.
    Anyway, thank you for posting this I will be making it as soon as I have an oven.(by end of month)

    ReplyDelete