Sunday, December 13, 2009

Crock Pot Creamy Potato Soup

I woke up on Saturday to a California winter day. Sky was filled with gray clouds, the rain was pouring, and it was cold. I knew I was going to have a really busy day and not get home until later in the evening. The thought of coming home to a steamy bowl of soup sounded perfect. I didn't have any meat defrosted and I was running low on groceries so I decided to make a super easy potato soup in the crock pot. Oh my goodness this was so good. It wasn't heavy like a chowder, but had a really nice creamy texture to it. The potatoes were hearty and tender. The next time I make this, which I'm sure will be soon, I'm going to add diced ham or bacon to it though, that would have made it a A+, it was a A- without it.

Whatcha Need...
8 medium size baking potatoes, chopped roughly (I left the skins on for added vitamins)
1 Medium Onion, chopped roughly
2 Tbsp Butter
Chicken Stock/Broth. I used what I had on hand, it totaled to about 5 cups
2 Cups of Milk
1/2 cup flour
2 Cup Shredded Cheese (Not pictured, I added it spur of the moment.)
Seasoning...Salt, Pepper, Thyme and Nutmeg
IMG_5952
(2nd Part to make soup)
IMG_5958


Whatcha do with it...
In a crock pot mix the chopped Potato, Onion, 2 TBSP butter, and Chicken Broth/Stock.
Cook on low for 8 hours
IMG_5954

About an hour before you want to eat mix the flour and milk together. (Make sure it's mixed really really good. You don't want any flour lumps. The easiest way I know to do this is to put it in a Tupperware and shake it really good.)

Add the Milk/flour mixture, 2 Cups of cheese, and seasonings (don't be shy with the seasonings...it needs it) to crock pot and turn to high. The soup will thicken up and become creamy. Viola....you have yourself dinner.

This picture just doesn't do this soup justice, it really is super super good. Because it's mainly made with chicken stock/broth it's not really bad for your either.
IMG_5961

No comments:

Post a Comment